About WAAPP Sierra Leone
The West Africa Agricultural Productivity Program (WAAPP) is a two-phase, ten-year, horizontal and vertical Adaptable Program Lending (APL) to support the implementation of ECOWAP through the implementation of CAADP’s fourth pillar. The program contributes to two principal objectives of the Bank: (i) make agriculture more productive and sustainable to increase economic growth, improve food security, and reduce poverty; and (ii) support regional integration. WAAPP-1C (approved on March 24, 2011) is the third series of the first phase, and includes Benin, The Gambia, Sierra Leone, Togo, Liberia, Niger. read more>>
Objectives of WAAPP
Project Development Objectives (PDO)
The specific objectives of WAAPP
- To promote sustainable and durable productivity ,competitiveness and growth of the African agricultural sector by facilitating access to improved technology and best-bet practice to agricultural producers and agribusiness men.
- To improve the living conditions of consumers, especially those affected by extreme poverty through the provision of agricultural products at competitive and affordable prices.
Main results expected from WAAPP
- At least three (3) improved technologies in the priority sectors have been developed by the participating countries at the end of the first phase of the project
- The gain in productivity ,with at least one of the improved technologies , is of 15%or more in each participatory country
- Three (3) National Centers of Specialization (NCOS) in priority sectors at the national and regional level, have been implemented by participating countries within their National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS)
- At least 85% of the Research and Development (R&D) sub-projects, at the national and regional level, have been implemented successfully and assessed by a panel of independent experts.
PDO TARGETS: WAAPP 1C –SIERRA LEONE
|Number of beneficiaries||200,000|
|Released technologies by NCOS||5|
|Area covered by improved technology||150,000|
|Number of beneficiaries adopting technology||120,000|